Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Remembering April


We had quite the busy weekend.  Friday and Saturday were filled with 10-year class reunion activities with our old high school classmates.  To be honest, I wasn't really looking forward to it.  I guess I was unsure about how it would be.  But it really turned out to be fun!  It was just like old times in a way...talking with some of my friends was like being back in 11th grade again.  (Only this time, many of us are married, working full-time jobs, and raising kids!)  We laughed a lot, reminiscing about our teachers and the fun times we had together.  It was a great weekend....and we stayed up way too late.  Oh, another thing that has changed from those days...I have 3 little girls that wake me up at 6:30 a.m.  Oh yeah, that is why I don't stay up late anymore.  haha!  It was worth it though, and it makes me wish we had these reunions more often!

On a more somber note, we have lost one of our classmates, since graduation.  April Oles-Magdzas was tragically killed, along with her young daughter, and she was about to give birth to her second daughter the next day.  It is a tragic situation, and she is deeply missed by many.  April and I weren't close friends, but we did chat occasionally, and she was always very sweet and kind to me.  I appreciated that my classmates planned a memorial for her, on Saturday afternoon.  We planted a shrub at the Carlton Elementary school, a poem was read, and we wrote messages on cards, attached them to balloons, and sent them into the sky.  It was a somber and touching moment.  I pray for her family and think about how difficult it has been, dealing with her loss.  She was missed this weekend at our high school reunion!  I pray I see her again one day, in heaven, playing with both of her sweet, little girls.

April and her daughter Lila


Letting go of the balloons, in memory of April



No comments: