Friday, August 17, 2012

Apple Pie begins with A!

To continue on with our letter A theme of the week, yesterday, the girls and I tackled making an apple pie.  Making pie is not one of my favorite things.  It's time consuming, chopping up the fruit, making the crust, rolling out the crust, (which never goes well for me), etc.  Anyways, so making a pie with a 4 and 3 year old was especially time consuming and taxed my patience...but that's okay.  That's what I'm learning more of in this season of my life....PATIENCE!!

Yesterday morning, the girls and I went to the grocery store to buy what we needed to make our apple pie; all the while, Maddie was yelling out every "A" she saw along the way.  :) We got home and started the pie making business.  First we had to chop up the apples.  The girls LOVED using my cool pampered chef tool - the apple-peeler-corer-slicer.

You can see Norah is taking this job very seriously.
Step #2: adding sugar and cinnamon to the apples and stirring them up.


Here is what Elise was up to while we were baking....


Step #3: Make the crust & roll it out...



Step #4: Fill the pie plate with bottom crust layer and apples.  As you can see, Norah looks awfully proud.


And there you have it - a finished apple pie, with a capital letter A!  :)  The girls were very proud and excited to tell their daddy, as apple pie is one of his favorite desserts.  We got to enjoy a slice of pie with vanilla ice cream later that night.  We received daddy's stamp of approval!  It was very yummy. 

Ready to go into the oven...only after about an hour and a half of labor.

Daddy gives us an A+!

The whole pie making process was a long one.  In the past, I have avoided letting the girls "help" me with cooking and baking, but lately, I have been convicted of missing out on important teaching times with them.  It may take an extra dose of patience and take longer to clean up the mess, but in the end, we are creating good memories together and they are learning new things!  We had fun baking together...I hope to do more of that with them.  

Another thing I spent some time doing yesterday was making a prayer photo album.  I was going through all of our Christmas pictures from last year and was about to throw them away.  I would usually have our fridge covered in photos, but with all of our house showings, I have had to take them down.  So, I was about to throw them away, when I decided that it would be a great idea to make a photo album with all of our Christmas card pictures, and use it as a reminder to be praying for our friends and family.  So yesterday, the girls each closed their eyes, opened the book, and pointed to a picture....and we prayed for that family!  The girls LOVED it.  It's a good reminder to me, to always be in prayer for our many friends and family and the different missionaries we support.  

Don't throw away your Christmas card photos - make a prayer book!

We love praying for our friends and family!


Also, we went to a member appreciation night at the Duluth Children's Museum last night.  Here is my little knight and princess enjoying the castle.  They just love that place.  



2 comments:

Lexie said...

Katie,
Thanks for all the updates! I love reading how you are all doing. I too hope to keep up on my blog, did well for 2 mos. then off then on, then off. So now i have all summer to write about and maybe writing from 'behind' is going to be my way to 'keep up'. :)
Also, I so enjoy cooking/baking with my girls, they do all the dumping and turning on of the mixer. Claire even gets to crack eggs. We also have some fun shaped cookie sheets that they can push the dough into if i dump in the right amount. I certainly give you two thumbs up for letting them help with the pie. The apples yes, but the crust, i think i would of said no. And i to want to do the letter of the week! Good luck with it. I'll ask so see how it's going if I don't see anything on FB or the blog. :)

A Joy, Grace, and Faith Filled Life said...

Thanks, Lexie! I appreciate you taking time to read....I also enjoy reading yours, when I get the chance!! And yes, making the pie crust took some extra patience. Probably won't be doing that for awhile....